In this article, we will show you how you can convert media files into different formats with tools such as PowerPoint and Cloudconvert.com
Before you begin converting your files, we recommend that you read our article on "Recommended file formats for images and video". See the article here.
Wrong resolution? Here's how to check the resolution of your media file.
To see if your file has the correct resolution, you can right-click on the file and look at properties. Here's what to look for:
- Find your file in File Explorer
- Right-click and select Properties
- Click the Details
- Check the information for width and height.
For FHD (full HD) resolution, the measurements are 1920x1080 (Landscape) or 1080x1920 (Portrait).
My media file does not have these width and height dimensions. How do I fix it?
To change to the recommended resolution, we can use two tools such as PowerPoint or Cloudconvert.com.
How do I use PowerPoint to change the resolution of my media files?
NB! This does not apply when using the PowerPoint Publisher Plugin for Databeat. Here, default measurements are set in the PowerPoint plugin.
PowerPoint calculates resolution measurements a little differently than pixels. PowerPoint uses centimeters (cm) for measuring pixels.
As an example: 50,8 cm / 20 in gives 1920 pixels and 28,575 cm / 11.25 in gives 1080 pixels.
This is how you use PowerPoint to change the resolution on a media file.
- Open PowerPoint on your computer
- Click Design
- Click Slide Size
- Click Custom Slide Size
- Insert the customized measurements for width and height
If your image is to be adapted to 1920x1080 (Landscape), set these dimensions: Width = 50.8 cm / 20 in. Height = 28.575 cm / 11.25 in.
If your image is to be sized 1080x1920 (Portrait), set these dimensions: Width = 28.575 cm / 11.25 in. Height = 50.8 cm / 20 in.
- Paste and customize your file in PowerPoint.
Does the image look stretched after you customize it? Use the Crop tool in PowerPoint.
- Press File and select Save As
NB! Choose file type: Save as MP4 for video and animation. Save as JPG or PNG by image.
- Publish your media file in DatabeatOMNI
How can I use Cloudconvert.com to convert my files?
Cloudconvert.com allows you to convert files through their website. Here we will see how resolution can be changed and how to change the video codec and any other relevant settings on the file.
NB! Applies only to video file conversion. With the freemium offer, you have a limited number of conversions you can do per day.
Upload your media file to Cloudconvert.com
- Choose Select Files to open File Explorer. Find the folder where you saved the video you want to convert.
- Select the file and click Open
- File names and file types are copied on the website
- Click the Format button and select the MP4 menu if another file type is either (Video -> MP4)
- Click on conversion settings for more advanced settings
The most important thing we do here is set the Video Codec settings to H264. There are several settings available but requires that you have had more experience within design and convering media fils to different formats.
- Click on Video Codec and select H264
If you want to exclude audio on the mediafile. Click Audio Codec - None (remove audio track)
- Click Okay
Cloudconvert will now save the settings that you have set.
- Click on Start Conversion which is located on the bottom of the page.
When the conversion is done, a green "Download" button will appear on the page.
- Click on Download
The media file can be found on under Downloads on your computer.
If you have a media file with the same name stored in your Downloads folder, the name of the file you downloaded will end with .1 to indicate that this is the converted file. With an example from "SampleVideo 1920x1080", this will be called "SampleVideo 1920x1080.1"